Blonde moment

And the silver spoon.

Tuesday, August 02, 2005

Sacrifice

A few weeks ago, my parents, sister, and I watched my husband swear to uphold and defend the Constitution of the United States and the Constitution of the State of Minnesota and obey the commands of his officers, the president, and the governor. Later, at dinner, we had a conversation on beliefs verses practice. During this discussion, it was said that we could either use our beliefs as a standard to achieve or as a means of justifying our bad behavior. We also discussed whether or not it is enough to say you value and believe something, you eventually need to practice your values and beliefs.

It is time to put Josh’s promise and our beliefs into action. Josh has been called to go to Iraq fairly soon. He has not received the official orders, but they are expected any day. So, for all practical purposes, he’s going. And here is what is called our crisis of faith. Am I willing to give up my husband at the command of the state or country? Am I willing to trust that God is in control? Are my faith in God and my love for my husband enough to carry me through these next months? I only hope and pray so.

As a society, we have lost the value of sacrifice. We value our right to say whatever we want where ever we want to say it. We demand more and more money and more and more material goods. We want service now. We want the right of way. We don’t want to work for something. We want everything for nothing.

I’m not saying that we need government imposed sacrifice, or that we shouldn’t be free or important. I am saying that there is a higher practice. What are you willing to give up so your beliefs become practice? I am willing to let Josh go. But that doesn’t make it any less painful or any less of a sacrifice.

1 Comments:

  • At 3:44 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    In the Agora we spend alot of time talkin' 'bout rights, but no time talking 'bout responsibilities.

    "What we've got here is....failure to communicate...."

    The great philosopher
    Strother Martin

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home