Blonde moment

And the silver spoon.

Thursday, March 29, 2007

So, it’s been eighteen months…

Eighteen LOOOOOOONG months. I picked up a copy of Josh’s orders this week. And I’m getting a “so your husband has been extended” present with Josh’s extra pay… new tires for the car! Yea! (Aren’t you glad I can do that all by myself, Josh?)

My mom hit something on the head recently. I’m not sure who I can be real with. I’m glad when people ask about Josh. It shows he’s an important part of our church and the community. And I do support the mission, really, I do. But, often, my feelings at any given time can be misconstrued as opinions.

Why must everything be so black and white? Why must my missing Josh more then anything indicate that I’m not in favor of the mission? Why must my being in favor of the mission mean that I can’t feel the pain of the deployment?

Sure, I signed up for this the day I married Josh. But I find that when military spouses are going through “worse,” in the “for better or worse,” we get no emotional support. We’re told to “buck up,” and “embrace the suck.” Heaven forbid, though, if I say the same thing to anyone else facing struggles in life.

Josh celebrated his birthday Sunday. He was supposed to celebrate it at home. He won’t be home for our anniversary. This will be our second consecutive anniversary apart. He won’t be home for most of the baseball season. I hope he’ll be home for my birthday. Both soldiers and their families are real. They have real emotions. They deal with separations the same way other people do; we just have more at stake. I’m not Wonder Woman. I’m just me.

And so, I will deal with the deployment the same way I have been. Get out of bed in the morning. Shuffle off to work. Go grocery shopping. Come home. E-mail Josh. Go to church on Sunday. And pray every night for the safe return of my husband and all the troops. And by the grace of God, I will carry on.


Update…
Thanks to Powerline for the space and platform.

Thanks for the wishes, DS, and also the Bible verse and song!

I love you, too, HG!

Mike, just stay involved. The Fraters have let it be known that there’s a guy who needs some help with reintegration. Also, there are a variety of organizations set up to benefit soldiers. Check out Soldier’s Angels , Operation Minnesota Nice , or your local Family Assistance Center for opportunities to help out.

Chad,
I just think it’s cool the way NARN, and the Fraters , in particular, are good to the community. You all are truly servants and it is a pleasure to read your blog.

King and Barbara ,
Thanks especially for your support! I admire Barbara a great deal. And Josh and I are looking forward to getting together some time this fall!

Thanks for the prayers, Sissy and Hockeymom.

God bless you all!

6 Comments:

  • At 9:42 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Hang in there, Liz. Military folk understand how you feel. It is ALRIGHT to feel the way you do. Being deployed is no joke. I've been there. And it is O.K.

    I pray for the safe and unmarked return of all the Warriors who are deployed from the MANG.

    The song says, "I will lift my eyes to the Maker of the mountains I can't climb..." Look to the hills from which comes your help. For your help comes from the LORD.

    DS Just

     
  • At 11:49 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    I love you, Lizzie!

     
  • At 12:45 PM , Blogger MK said...

    Hi... came here by way of PowerLine. I wish there was a way to make it easier on you and everyone else in your situation, but there isn't a way, so please know that there are lots of folks out here who do appreciate your sacrifice and who do not expect you to be anything but human... loving, supportive, conflicted... all at once.

    And our prayers are with you, your husband (please tell him "thanks!") and the rest of our military.

    Mike

     
  • At 1:13 PM , Blogger Chad said...

    Well said Liz. As was your e-mail to Power Line. Keep your spirits up and stay strong. Don't hesitate to let us know if you need any help.

     
  • At 6:41 PM , Blogger Sissy Willis said...

    Darling, you are what this country is all about. Keeping the homefires burning is where it's at. God bless you and your precious husband.

     
  • At 6:50 PM , Blogger HockeyMom said...

    Liz
    Well said. Being apart from loved ones is difficult no matter what the reason. My husband and I pray every morning for soldiers like Josh and family member like you who are apart. Know that there are a lot of people who don't say anything who are supporting you. God bless.
    Christine

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home