Blonde moment

And the silver spoon.

Saturday, March 15, 2008

On hymns…

I have come to terms with the idea that my children will not be singing, “We’re going to the mansion on the happy day express,” in Sunday School. Lutherans don’t believe in a pre-trib rapture, and I discovered that I don’t as well, so a lot of the revivalist songs are right out. I was reading Putting Out the Fire, and Frank points out that Evangelicals sure know how to sing hymns. Yup. I’d have to agree. Unless we’re talking about Mount Olivet LCMS in Washington, DC , it is a fabulous church, if you’re in the area, by the way. They sing hymns like no one else. It does sadden me that Josh and my church doesn’t have a set of hymnals in the pews. And it saddens me that we don’t sing more hymns and songs with theological meat to them as a culture (our church is about half hymns, all four to six verses, and P and W). Our church is pretty enthusiastic in singing. Josh and I will have to teach baby more hymns then what we sing in church. Just like everyone has fun watching people square dance, everyone loves a hymn sing. And so, for your ear worm delight, I offer you some hymns, some of perhaps more evangelical theology, to hum to yourself all day (and if these lines don’t do it for you, get thee to a hymnal straight away).

“Wonderful Grace of Jesus,” (wonderful the matchless grace (the matchless grace of Jesus))…
“Nothing but the Blood of Jesus”
“There is Power in the Blood”
“There is a Fountain Filled with Blood”
“On Christ the Solid Rock I Stand”
“My Hope is Built on Nothing Less then Jesus’ Blood and Righteousness” (the hymnal I was thumbing through was particularly non-confessional, but it is fairly easy to change a bit)
“I Love to Tell the Story,” (ever hear Emmy Lou Harris and Robert Duval sing this one? It’s a great rendition.)
“Be Thou my Vision”
“Come Thou Fount of Every Blessing”
“Now Thank we all Our God”

And for your Holy Week humming pleasure…
“O Sacred Head now Wounded” (yes, even Evangelicals know this one)
“Christ the Lord is Risen Today” (any melody, pick your favorite)
“Up from the Grave He Arose…” (you REALLY want to get hymn singing Evangelicals excited about singing, sing this one followed by “Wonderful Grace of Jesus.”)

Enjoy!

1 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home