Blonde moment

And the silver spoon.

Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Mom-blogging…

HT Vox Day .

“[M]om-blogging - WOMAN-blogging - is still radical because there is still so much animosity, so much hate toward it, so much deprecation of it, so much dismissal of it, so much effort put into its marginalization. What is radical about it is that we push on, demanding to be heard, and demanding recognition of our worth as mothers, women, writers, business-people, innovators, people, against the ignorance of those who would keep us down.” Or so says Mamapop .

OK… so, when I “mom-blog” I’m being radical and revolutionary? Um… I don’t really see it like that. Nor do I really demand to be heard. I’m grateful for the link love I get from others. I appreciate being on someone’s blogroll. But, I didn’t, for example, go over to Hammerswing75 and demand Uncle Ben put me on his blogs of ill repute (thanks, by the way!). I’ve known Scotty since May 16, 2003, and he didn’t put me on his blog roll until recently (Enquiring minds need to know Scotty). Erapp from the Rapp Files doesn’t know me, but for some reason occasionally finds something worthwhile here and links to me (thanks, also). And there are a variety of other bloggers that link to me (I’d mention the other mom-bloggers, but I’m trying to make a point regarding sexism).

I blog for my own amusement. If others are likewise entertained, I’m glad. I don’t need special recognition for my “worth” as a mom, woman, writer, worker or a person. Nor do I think anyone is trying to keep me down. My vocation, or in military terms, my mission is to be Josh’s wife, Mallory’s mom, a daughter, a sister, a friend, and to do so with a cheerful attitude as Christ would have me do. I don’t need a special “Good job” or recognition from the New York Times or anyone else. My motivation is not fighting “ignorance” nor is it being an important “voice” or finding special “recognition.” My motivation is that I love Jesus, Josh, Mallory, my family, and my friends.

So, mom-bloggers, do you feel disenfranchised in the blogosphere?

As a random aside… Catherine shouldn’t whine about Vox Day taking her seriously. I’ve never met him. Don’t know his wife. He’s probably only ever visited me to see a review of his book. The men who frequent my blog usually only pay attention when I write about a topic they are interested in. I get more “male attention” when I write about theology, politics, or something vaguely economic. Men generally don’t like on-line diaries. Men read for information. If you want more men to read your blog, write about something they are interested in or be a very well written and cute blog, like Pianomomsicle . She is an example of vocabulary, an underdog trying to make it in a hard world, and is a great resource for cheap stuff. This is the internet; and we’re whining about a social activity; and people we’ve probably never met. The big difference here is there is no playground lady to keep men from “not being nice” to women. You want to play with the boys, learn to throw a football or play a video game. Don’t force the boys to play house and Barbies when they don’t want to.

3 Comments:

  • At 3:28 PM , Blogger jessica @pianomomsicle said...

    Aw, thanks for the linky love!
    Can't wait to see you tomorrow!

     
  • At 9:22 PM , Blogger W.B. Picklesworth said...

    Indeed. In case you're curious, I originally linked to you because of some of your theological posts. I was excited to find another Lutheran in the MOB who actually wrote about faith. And I actually will read some of the mom stuff too. But only if I want to and certainly not out of any sense of duty to honor your estrogen. Blech. I hate it when people set up fake dialectics.

     
  • At 11:42 AM , Blogger Consecutive Odds said...

    Katie's Beer is a Lutheran Blog and she talks about theology every now and again, too. And rumor has it, there may be a post on baptism coming up.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home