Blonde moment

And the silver spoon.

Wednesday, November 16, 2005

Soapy experiments

It's late and my mind is running. My cousin commissioned a batch of soap. He's a mechanic, and he's wondering if there is anything I can batch up that will help his hands. Even the industrial cleaner at work won't take away all of the grease.

So, I'm setting up a trial and error experiment to see what works. I'm looking for several levels of abrasive that I'll mix with a little vegetable oil and have him use each abrasive for a week. (Side note, one of the benefits of being a girl with oily skin is that I've been putting different levels of abrasive on my skin for years.)

My next brain storm is the one that I'm currently stewing over. What if I need something harsh (more base)? I suppose I could put some borax in the soap... but I have a few chemical tests cooked up, too. Most of my chemical tests are based off of house wife urban legend. But, there is something to be said for house wife urban (rural?) legend.

The two more note worthy chemical experiments are a Coke wash and a Dawn/Simple Green blend. Now, if either of these work, there is nothing I can do for him using my soap making skills as the lye would react badly with either product, and would likely take away some of qualities that would make either work.

So, why pay attention to house wife legend? Well, though I'm not the person who puts egg or mayo in her hair, I am the person who rinses with white vinegar and will treat my hair with olive oil once in a while. And why not? The vinegar gets whatever left over gook that shampoo doesn't remove, and it sooths my scalp. And I'd like to see a better oil treatment then just plain oilve oil. Anyway, there is some stock in house wife legend when it comes to cleaning products. Women had stain removers long before Tide came up with their pens, and a lot of these stain removers are probably just as good.

Anyway, now that I've talked about my experiment, I feel tired again. So, back to bed.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home