Blonde moment

And the silver spoon.

Tuesday, November 08, 2005

I’m a non-reporter

As a follow up to my earlier post , I don’t want to make SCSU or Campus Crusade sound like an unfriendly place for women who are sexually harassed. I’m really not sure because I’m considered a non-reporter. When weighing whether or not to report, time was my big factor. You have to report, then document; and you have to sit through interviews; and document… And, the first time, you hope that a forceful, “No,” will make it go away, so you don’t report or document. My second big factor was harassment is hard to prove. The one thing I was lacking for two and a half years was a witness. Once I had one, it was for one incident only, and many others either didn't believe us or thought that I had done something to deserve his remarks. Anyway, in hindsight, I probably would have reported early on in my freshman year.

So, if someone is in a situation where they are harassed, document the situation and tell your supervisor or teacher. If you are harassed by a supervisor or teacher, tell their supervisor, principal, or dean. Document the agreed upon measures to resolve the situation and have the authority figure sign and date the document. Then follow up.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home