Blonde moment

And the silver spoon.

Sunday, March 16, 2008

On legalism...

I thought I'd make a quick post (darned pregnancy insomnia) on legalism in churches. Personally, I prefer Divine Service (and have occasionally been known to, when out of town, go to Latin Mass at the nearest Catholic Church); Josh on the other hand, does not. Our preferances reflect our church backgrounds, rather then strict theology.

We go to a church that is more casual in its practice of Divine Service. They don't have hymnals in the pews. And sure, I have a problem with that, but compared to other problems churches have, it isn't that big of a deal.

Our church gave Josh fabulous pastoral care when he was in Iraq. If Josh called, even during a staff meeting, really in most instances as well, Pastor dropped what he was doing to talk to him, or Josh was passed around to various pastoral staff members.

There are a couple of things I attend Lutheran Church and expect to experience. I expect a Law and Gospel sermon, to recite the Creeds of the Faith, to recite the Lord's Prayer, to confess my sins and receive absolution, and to RECEIVE Holy Communion. Apart from that, if a Pastor wants to do a series on, say the 10 Commandments, or the Apostle's Creed, and it isn't "that time of the year" or whatever, why shouldn't he? And if a church practices all aspects of Divine Service, just not "in the right order" is that OK?

So, if I like my church so much, why don't I disclose it... Actually, I do link to a ministry my church is starting with the help of the Lutheran Hour... see if you can find it on my side bar. I don't come out and say expressly who I am for a variety of reasons. Those most important to me... we have the same last name as a high ranking officer in the MN National Guard, and I don't want to say something that could get Josh busted. Also, I'm pretty sure I'm it, or at least I am the most visible spouse of someone who was recently deployed in our church. I choose not to identify myself for personal safety reasons. (Even in the best church environment, you never know who walks in the door.) Anyway, it is mostly for safety reasons that I don't disclose much.

But, if you're looking for a good church in the "south metro," I know of one, and may even tell you which one it is.

1 Comments:

  • At 7:36 AM , Blogger jessica @pianomomsicle said...

    i will second Liz' church being a great church. If i were able to attend church instead of need to be hired at one, i'm sure we'd attend there as well.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home