Blonde moment

And the silver spoon.

Friday, June 27, 2008

Update from Liz

I'm sure you may have heard by now that I had some complications to delivery. So, here's what I've been told... there's more to the story, I'm sure, but my mind's still a bit foggy...

My blood pressure went up 30 points in one week, so they sent me in for some lab work to see if I had pre-enclampsia (forgive the spelling, I'm not going to check right now). And those results
came back positive. Then remember that freak auto-immune disease I picked up in college? Idiopathic Thrombocytopennic purpura? Well, my platelet counts came back at 125,000, which is low, and a bit lower then what I've had all pregnancy. So, they decided to start the induction process on Monday. Tuesday morning, my blood pressure was still high when they started the petocin (again with spelling)... So, they put me on magnesium sulfate for the blood pressure and had me laying on my side. When that wasn't working, they told me I needed an epidural and then I started having bad reactions. They took me off the epidural for me to push, and I made an effort for 2 and a half hours, then they tried the vacuum for a contraction, but that wasn't helping. So, I had what amounts to an emergency C-section. I reacted very poorly to the new epidural; and this is where things start getting fuzzy... I'm not sure medically why this happened, but my blood pressure was too low to keep me awake, so they put me all the way under after I gave Mallory a kiss and they gave me a breathing tube and other interventions (I think, but am not sure)...

At any rate, I'm doing much better, and Mallory was a trooper the entire time; her heart rate was up throughout the stress and she didn't have any problems what-so-ever!

God protected us, and I was told by several people they were praying for me... people who didn't know I was in labor that day! So, thanks for praying!

Love,

Liz

PS. I'm not supposed to be upright unless I'm feeding her, so I'll keep in touch as best I can after a week or so!

PS2. When everyone says what a blessing it is that moms forget what labor, childbirth, and recovery are really like, I would have to agree. I really don't remember much about what happened after the decision for a C was made, except for seeing her dark hair and giving her a kiss. And when all is said and done, that is a true blessing. And I would have to say that even if I did remember, Mallory is definately worth it!

2 Comments:

  • At 4:08 PM , Blogger W.B. Picklesworth said...

    Wow, sounds like it was a little more adventurous than you might have liked! That said, I'm so happy for you and Josh. May God strengthen you and heal you up right quick!

     
  • At 7:22 PM , Blogger Consecutive Odds said...

    Thanks so much for the prayers!

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home