Blonde moment

And the silver spoon.

Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Reading question…

All with an opinion on the matter may answer this question. What 10 books (besides the Bible and the Book of Concord) would you want a person to read before they reach the age of 18? Why? And did you read them before you were 18?

The parameters… I’m leaving this open. If there are 10 documents rather then books, then list those. If you are only thinking children’s books or religious books or literature or you have an author who has several books you can’t choose between, list the author…whatever… pick 10 books/documents/authors you think a person should read before they turn 18.

I'll leave this at the top for a week or so for those who are interested in participating or who would like to compare notes.

Update: First off, I'll add my list later. Second... I just realized I've only read one of Shakespear's Plays. Yup. I have only read "R and J," but I have seen "Mid-Summer" by two different theatre companies.

7 Comments:

  • At 10:33 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance by Robert Pirsig

    1984 by George Orwell

    Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury

    Stranger in a Strange Land, Robert Heinlein

    Life in America, Alexis de Tocqueville

    Free to Choose, Milton Friedman

    The Foundation (series) by Isaac Asimov

    Atlas Shrugged, the Fountainhead by Ayn Rand

    The Tragedy of American Compassion by Marvin Olasky

    The Federalist Papers, Hamilton et al

    How's that?

    J. Ewing

     
  • At 11:02 AM , Blogger Consecutive Odds said...

    Thanks! I appreciate the list. I have not read several of those books, so I'll check one or two out over the next couple of weeks.

     
  • At 1:05 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    I would be curious as to which you /have/ read. I thought it a somewhat unusual list. By the way, for entertainment, I would recommend the 5 books of the "Hitchhiker's Guide trilogy" by Douglas Adams.

     
  • At 1:39 PM , Blogger Consecutive Odds said...

    I've read:
    Free to Choose, Atlas Shrugged, many of the Federalist Papers, 1984 and Life in America.

     
  • At 6:52 PM , Blogger W.B. Picklesworth said...

    The Brothers Karamazov by Dostoyevsky. I read it when I was 18 over Christmas break. Why read it? It's one of those books that really gets at questions of faith and philosophy (which filled my mind at that age). Unlike many books of that description, faith is not presented as the poorer cousin.

    This will have to be a slow brainstorming process, but that one really stands out for me.

     
  • At 10:47 PM , Blogger HermioneGonzo said...

    In no particular order...

    1)To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee
    2)Great Expectations by Charles Dickins
    3)Pilgrim's Progress by John Bunyan
    4)1984 by George Orwell
    5)Green Eggs & Ham by Dr. Seuss
    6)The Boy in the Striped Pajamas by John Boyne
    7)Holes by Louis Sachar
    8)Where the Wild Things Are by Maurice Sendak
    9)The Giver Trilogy by Lois Lowry
    10)Candide by Voltaire

    Who says that all ten books had to be read during the high school years?

     
  • At 7:55 AM , Blogger Consecutive Odds said...

    HG...

    True enough. Besides, even adults in sales can learn something from Green Eggs and Ham.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home