Blonde moment

And the silver spoon.

Sunday, April 08, 2007

I didn't know I was missing it...

Until I knew what "it" was. Did you know that I couldn't recite the Apostle's Creed until I was in my early 20's? Never touched a catechism until then, either. In fact, when I signed up to be a confirmation mentor at my church, I told the youth pastor, who then gave me a copy, but said, "You know, it's pretty dry reading." Thus said to a young women with a degree in economics (now, an econometrics book, that is dry reading).

Anyway, so I didn't know how important it is to have a solid doctrine from which to base your interpretation of scripture. Of course, my brother and sister Catholics will say, "You still don't," but the Book of Concord is just that for Lutherans.

Easter Service at my church is fabulous! But, even though singing Handel's "Hallelujah Chorus" is way cool, this is what makes Easter for me as a Lutheran:
"I believe in Jesus Christ, his only Son, our Lord, who was conceived by the Holy Spirit, born of the Virgin Mary, suffered under Pontius Pilate, was crucified, died, and was buried. He descended into hell. The thrid day he rose again from the dead. He ascended into heaven and sits at the right hand of God the Father Almighty. From thence he will come to judge the living and the dead."

And, "What does this mean? I believe that Jesus Christ, true God, begotten of the Father from eternity, and also true man, born of the virgin Mary, is my Lord, who has redeemed me, a lost and condemned person, purchased and won me from all sins, from death, and from the power of the devil; not with gold or silver, but with His holy, precious blood and with His innocent suffering and death, that I may be His own and live under Him in His kingdom and serve Him in everlasting righteousness, innocence, and blessedness, just as He is risen from the dead, lives, and reigns to all eternity. This is most certainly true." ( Luther's Explanation of the 2nd Article of the Apostles Creed from Luther's Small Catechism.)

This is most certainly true...

4 Comments:

  • At 9:51 AM , Blogger Barb the Evil Genius said...

    I guess that's a benefit of a liturgy. We recite the Nicene Creed every Sunday as a matter of course.

     
  • At 9:28 PM , Blogger Consecutive Odds said...

    God is good! Evangelicals don't know what they're missing.

     
  • At 11:57 AM , Blogger Rev. Paul T. McCain said...

    I can understand why the Book of Concord is regarded as "dry reading." There are some documents that are very long and detailed, but....others are short and sweet and very powerful moving statements of Christian faith and belief.

    If you are not familiar with a special editions designed for lay people, with tons of useful notes and annotation and, yes, even pictures, let me point you to it:

    http://www.cph.org/concordia

     
  • At 7:36 PM , Blogger Consecutive Odds said...

    Thanks Paul! You know, I should have thought to look for something like Concordia House... The Evangelical denomination I grew up in has its own Christian resource store, I should have looked for the LCMS one!

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home