Blonde moment

And the silver spoon.

Saturday, May 10, 2008

Wow, does time go fast…

It was football playoff time four years ago when I got a phone call from a friend in college, Sid. Sid said he knew he’d be able to reach me during the Vikings game. And he announced that he was joining the Army. See, you have to understand a couple of things about Sid. First, he’s from Indonesia. Second, he is the LAST person on the face of this earth who you would EVER expect to join the military. So, I told him to e-mail me when he had an address and I’d send him some cookies or something. (Which I still owe him.)

Josh and I periodically heard from him, but I ended off needing to call in “the reinforcements,” namely, all the guys from college who I knew and could humanly reach who also knew Sid when he announced he was going to Iraq. I could not provide the friendship and support Sid needed, nor should I have been asked to as a married woman, particularly as Josh was in Iraq too.

Josh and Sid struck up an e-mail friendship. And Sid just called to announce that his contract is up and he’s going IRR ASAP.

Sid spent a year in South Korea and fifteen months in Iraq. He was in the states long enough between to swear in as a citizen. He did his time and deserves the benefits entitled him.

In the moments when it is discouraging to be in the military or married to a soldier, when you’re contemplating, “Is this really worth it?” And you hear those in favor of various and sundry military actions say, “Remember September 11th…” one takes pause. When our country is attacked, one hopes our native sons will take arms to defend her. And when someone, who loves America and sees her for the land of opportunity that she is, does what he is under no obligation to do and serves his adopted country, we should pause and thank God for people like him. Perhaps there is hope for America yet.

1 Comments:

  • At 9:57 PM , Blogger W.B. Picklesworth said...

    Yes there is hope! Granted things get a little bizarre sometimes, but as I remind myself from time to time, "God is on his throne." Not only that, of course, he's working in us to will and to do his good pleasure.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home