Blonde moment

And the silver spoon.

Saturday, March 07, 2009

Even if I wrestled, I would not be a threat.

Josh has a couple of cousins who wrestle. They are 19 and 17, my height, and they could take me, hands down, even if I was in peak physical condition. This is why I disagree with this letter to the editor in the Star Tribune .

Yes, women, there are bad guys out there. And self-defense is a good thing. However, there are a variety of ways to defend oneself, and I would argue that most women should not enter into street fights with potential attackers. Why? Men are stronger.

Now, let’s say you were truly concerned about your safety (for whatever reason). I’d recommend owning and learning to operate a firearm above a self-defense class. And I’m not talking about taking one little gun safety class, either. I am talking about learning to operate a firearm under high-stress conditions, going to the range on a regular basis, practicing shooting your gun, etc.

We’re talking efficiency here. In theory, a woman who is serious about her defense can learn to operate a firearm in a productive manner in less time than she can become an elite fighter. Plus, it is more likely a woman who is serious about her defense will learn to operate a firearm in a productive manner than she will become an elite fighter.

And one way or the other, the ability to operate a firearm or pummel a bad guy means the willingness to use extreme violence. If you aren’t willing to defend yourself properly, ability doesn’t mean anything.

3 Comments:

  • At 5:55 PM , Blogger Rebekah said...

    HEAR HEAR. It is plain foolishness to think that the absurd things you see on TV--120 pound women pulverizing 200 pound men--represents reality. Anybody who doesn't believe it should challenge her husband or brother to a wrestling match and see who wins, even if the weight difference is in her favor.

    Operating a firearm is also not as easy as it looks on TV. Get one and spend some quality time together. Then shoot that SOB.

     
  • At 3:53 PM , Blogger Consecutive Odds said...

    :) Glad for the support! My big thing is the willingness to properly defend... most people don't comprehend what that means.

     
  • At 10:38 AM , Blogger Dawn said...

    I just got me a gun, and I'm really looking forward to learning how to brandish it.

    Women are always so shocked to hear that a well-aimed baseball bat might not be enough to stave off an attacker, and that their best kicks and punches might actually be seen as "cute." Attackers aren't usually those who have bought into the liberal feminist ideology, after all.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home