Blonde moment

And the silver spoon.

Friday, April 10, 2009

We have a success!

Mallory was officially diagnosed with an allergy to dairy and wheat a couple of weeks ago. I’ve been expecting such a result, so I spent a significant amount of time reading recipes and learning about baking chemicals and stuff like that. Josh and I decided that though it is likely she’ll grow out of them before she turns five, it is easier to have one set of meals and snack food while her reasoning skills are immature. So, I’ve been playing with different recipes.

Nothing replaces wheat and its baking characteristics. And since different folks have different allergies, you just have to play. I had two bread failures this week so far, I’ve been really craving baked goods, and I needed a success. I had a recipe turn out tasty, but not as I had planned. I intended on making cookies, but it turned into blondies:

Ingredients:
1 c soy flour
¼ c potato starch
1 c tapioca flour
1 c oatmeal
1 tsp baking powder
½ tsp baking soda
¼ tsp salt
¾ c apple sauce
¼ c rice milk
1 c sugar
1 tsp vanilla
1 c raisins

Sift soy flour, tapioca flour, and potato starch to make sure lumps are gone. Add the rest of the dry ingredients and incorporate well. Add the wet ingredients and the raisins. Make sure there are no flour lumps. Pour into a greased 9x13 pan (use vegan buttery spread). Bake 350 for 45 minutes until golden brown and knife comes out clean.

Makes 24; 2 W.W points per bar. (114.9 cal; 1.15 g fiber; 1.25 g fat) To lower points further, eliminate sugar, particularly if you are using the full on sugar apple sauce, like I did. But, really, a brownie is what, 4 points? Keep in mind that you really aren’t adding fat and you just don’t have a lot of fiber in the recipe.

You could also substitute any fruit or veggie puree for the apple sauce, in which case I may not eliminate the sugar…

As for taste… OK, you have the foreign flour taste, and IMO, it is the tapioca. You could probably try it with rice flour or potato flour… something starchy though. But, I liked them quite a bit, but would reduce the sugar next time, if not eliminate it all together.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home