Blonde moment

And the silver spoon.

Saturday, August 20, 2005

And the orders are in...

On Wednesday, Josh received his deployment orders. It was not a happy day in my life, but it is nice to have a date and be able to make firm plans. I do have a couple of thoughts that may or may not seem connected to a reader. They're connected in my mind because they are all related to the day we found out.

First, it is tacky for the Star Tribune to have written a story about the deployment orders before all of the families heard a date. Plus, people started asking us specific questions before we had them. In the future, it would be nice to have a couple of days buffer from the media.

Second, and though I don't say this often, and rarely in a public forum, Vox Day is right. Ben Sharpiro needs to pony up. Or don't Ivy League boys like to sully their pretty hands? Yes, Ben, it is OK to be supportive of a war and not participate. It is not OK to say:

"But toppling Saddam Hussein and democratizing Iraq prevent his future ascendance and end his material support for future threats globally. The same principle holds true for Iran, Saudi Arabia, Syria, Egypt, Pakistan and others: Pre-emption is the chief weapon of a global empire.
"No one said empire was easy, but it is right and good, both for Americans and for the world. Forwarding freedom is always important, but it is especially important where doing so ensures America's future security -- as in Iraq. Maintaining American empire will require Americans to recognize the dangers of impatient isolationism. "

and not offer justification as to why you're not part of it. The chickenhawk arguement is name calling, but it can also be accurate. There is a difference between honorable men and dishonorable men. Honorable men of the Vietnam era did the right thing by fighting in a war that they were called to serve in. The current President Bush did the dishonorable thing by joining the National Guard to avoid conflict. My husband is doing the honorable thing by fighting in a war he believes in, and Ben Sharpiro is a chickenhawk because he seems to be an able-bodied twenty-something man who is sitting down at a computer instead of fighting a war. Part of fighting for freedom is fighting. Ben Sharpiro is not paying for the freedom of the press he uses. And I also believe that the reason he takes offence at the name "chickenhawk" is because he's trying to justify his own dishonorable behavior. I will stand by Ben Sharpiro's right to say whatever he wants, but I will still call him a chickenhawk.

Third, this deployment is very hard on Josh and me. I am trying not to be a whiner or anything, but I am short tempered lately and also very testy. Please be understanding if I am not as friendly as I usually am, and please also be understanding that Josh and I have plans ever single weekend between now and his deployment. If we can't spend time alone with you and we ask you to share, don't throw a fit. Also, for obvious reasons, I am not publishing his orders. I hope you all understand. I'll let you know he's gone when he's gone.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home