Blonde moment

And the silver spoon.

Tuesday, April 17, 2007

Self-Interpretation

As I mentioned below, I ordered the Second Edition of Concordia: The Lutheran Confessions . I kind of thumbed through it on Monday, but then I had belly dancing. One must support ones soldier after all. So, I didn’t have time to do a proper perusal. This edition claims to be a “reader’s edition,” or one for novices such as myself. Something I noticed in the “Preface to the First Edition” is strange to the mind of an Evangelical. As I grew up in an Evangelical Denomination, we were taught that self-interpretation is asking: what does this passage mean to me? Now, certainly, I believe the scriptures to be universally true, and one can find great personal comfort in the scriptures, however, adding “to me” leaves room for heresy. The Preface to the First Edition states: “It [The Book of Concord] is intended for use… any place that people gather to reflect on God’s Word and how that Word is correctly believed, taught, and confessed.” In other words, there is a correct and incorrect manner of believing, teaching, and confessing the Word of God.

Lutherans can ask, “What does this mean,” but because they do not personalize it, they use scripture to interpret scripture within the framework set by the Book of Concord. Lutherans believe they can answer the question, “What does this mean” because they are given the framework to answer this question without heresy. There are many things in the Bible that we mortals do not fully understand. There are many things in this Universe that we mortals cannot fully understand. However, in most areas of study, we are presented with a framework. For science, it is their method of observation. Statisticians have their tests. Mathematicians have their proofs. Musicians study music theory. Economists study economic theory. Artists study method. Writers study the grammar of their language. All Christians should be students of the Bible, as such, they should work within a framework of doctrine.
Here’s to my journey through the Book of Concord. I intend to follow the recommended reading guide, though I highly doubt I will actually do it in 150 consecutive days. The Kolb edition is above my reading level. Perhaps this reader’s edition will be of great assistance.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home