Blonde moment

And the silver spoon.

Monday, October 08, 2007

The New New Colossus

With my sincere apologies to Emma Lazarus.

Not like the brazen giant of Greek fame,
With conquering limbs astride from land to land;
Here at our sea-washed, sunset gates shall stand
A mighty woman with a torch, whose flame
Is the imprisoned lightning, and her name
Vienna Convention. From her beacon-hand
Glows world-wide welcome; her mild eyes command
The air-bridged harbor that twin cities frame.
"Keep, ancient lands, your sullied justice system!" cries she
With silent lips. "Give me your criminals, your drug dealers,
Your huddled child molesters yearning to breathe free,
The wretched murderers of your teeming shore.
Send these, the drunk drivers, tempest-tost to me,
I lift my lamp beside the golden door!"

This is not the America my parents taught me to love, my grandfather, his brother, my father, my husband, and my friends have fought for. I hate the President.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home