Blonde moment

And the silver spoon.

Friday, June 15, 2007

Ruth Graham…

I admire her a lot. Even though I am no longer enamored with decision theology, she has my respect, now more so then ever.

I don’t think the Evangelical World realizes what it demands out of married Evangelists. They give up a lot for the proclamation (why is there an “I” in proclaim, but not in proclamation?) of the gospel. I think that is one of the reasons why the Catholic Church asks its priests remain celibate. Ask any military spouse what it is like to have ones spouse gone a lot. And that is what Ruth Graham went through.

We all (mil spouses and pastors wives) do it willingly, but as a society, we are not grateful enough for women like Ruth Graham, who sacrifice a normal family life for the benefit of others. And Protestant Christians, I believe, are the worst of the ingrates. We expect our leaders to be married with perfect wives and kids, and when we have a figure, like Billy Graham, we make it incredibly difficult for the figure to take his family on the road.

So, next time you pray, say a special thanks for Ruth Graham and her life, and say a special thanks for your pastor’s wife and pray that your congregation is compassionate to her and doesn’t place unrealistic and legalistic expectations on her.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home